2016 Call for Proposals
The National Science Foundation Industry-University Cooperative Research Center, the Center for Arthropod Management Technologies (CAMTech) announces a call for proposals for research projects to begin January 1, 2017.
Proposals should be for pre-competitive research (i.e. not leading to patentable information) related to arthropod or nematode management. The use of economically relevant organisms is encouraged.
Proposals in all areas relating to arthropod or nematode management are accepted. Areas of particular interest are:
- Genome projects e.g. thrips, fall armyworm, corn earworm, kudzu bug, soybean looper, velvet bean caterpillar, aphids and soy pest complex
- Ecological studies, population dynamics and switchover e.g. western corn rootworm to northern corn rootworm, nematodes, and aphids
- Gut physiology and microbiomes of insects and nematodes from chemical resistance perspective
- Bioinformatics e.g. genome cross-referencing tools
- Global nematode genomics on populations from Brazil, Europe, other areas
- Insect-plant interactions and physiology e.g. stink bug
- Insect-plant interactions from natural resistance & chemical ecology perspective
- Development of bee cell lines
- Resistance management
- Monarch butterfly conservation
The CAMTech call for proposals is open to all faculty members at the CAMTech university sites (Iowa State University and University of Kentucky). Collaborative projects between faculty members at a center site with experts at other institutions are also accepted.
Funding will be considered for any allowable expenditure necessary to achieve the project goals, including but not limited to stipends for post-doctoral research associates and graduate students, supplies and travel. Funding should be included in the budget for the attendance of two CAMTech industry advisory board (IAB) meetings per year. Funding per project is limited to a maximum of $65,000 direct costs per year with funding for an initial period of 1 to 2 years.
To apply, please submit a one-page executive summary using the Executive Summary Template.docx to email@example.com by Monday, June 20, 2016. Please use the same email address if you have any questions. Principal Investigators of the selected pre-proposals will be notified early August and provided with a full proposal template. The deadline for submission of full proposals (totaling four pages in length) is Wednesday, August 24, 2016. Note that these full proposals will be presented in person at the CAMTech IAB meeting, to be held September 23-25, 2016 in Orlando, FL at which funding recommendations will be made.
For further information about CAMTech, please see http://camtech.ent.iastate.edu/